As we are increasingly aware of the dangers of climate change, it is time for businesses and society to put sustainability at the very top of their agenda. The current industrial, economic and social systems are creating problems that will manifest in the present and immediate future. We believe as a business we can and should make a difference in both the way we conduct business and in the buildings we design.
Accordingly, we will consider the triple bottom line in all of our business activities, aiming to make a positive contribution to poeple and society, the planet and our environment, alongside the profits that enable the success of our business.
What does this mean in practice?
We have a range of environmental, social and financial strategies that help us to reduce our impact and give something positive back to the world.
Key Planet and Environmental Strategies:
We are working towards being an environmentally responsible company. We are fully committed to reducing our environmental impact by integrating best practices into as much of our business activities as possible and continually reviewing our policies and processes. This includes the following key steps:
- We promote our environmental ethos and values to our staff, our clients, suppliers and partners. We actively seek to work with people who share our environmental concerns and policies, in particular in the design of highly efficient buildings.
- We intend to minimise our carbon footprint by minimising travel as far as possible, including using modern communication technology and enabling team members to work remotely, therefore not having to travel into our offices to work. We will reduce air travel as far as is practically possible.
- Wherever possible we will use recycled and recyclable materials, such as stationery, paper and inks. We will source materials from sustainable sources where available and try to avoid using physical stationery or printing documents as far as possible.
- We will assess the environmental impact of our business decisions, including the buildings we design.
- We will educate staff on the environmental impact of our industry and encourage all those within our influence to consider the environmental ramifications of their decisions.
- We will encourage our staff, whether employed or sub-contractors, to engage in our environmental policy.
Key People and Society Strategies:
- We aim to ensure all team members enjoy their work by giving them every possible opportunity to develop, enjoy their work and fulfil their potential. This includes encouraging professional development through membership of professional bodies and the participation in rewarding learning and development opportunities.
- All team members will be encouraged to complete continuing professional development and to achieve the relevant professional status to their job role.
- We allow flexible working by allowing our team members to choose their own place of work, empowering them to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- We will use local suppliers where possible to reduce our carbon footprint and stimulate the local economy.
- We will work with ethical business organisations with appropriate people policies in place that encourage ethical working practices, equal rights and with a clear diversity and inclusion policy.
- We will comply with all equal opportunities laws and regulations.
Key Profit / Financial Strategies:
- We are committed to building a strong, viable and profitable architecture studio over the long term and not just chasing short term profit-making activities.
- We will make financial decisions that balance the pursuit of profit with the interests of the planet and society.
- We will implement simple, effective business systems so that the business runs efficiently and can be picked up between individuals, rather than reliant on one team member’s insight, thereby creating a resilient business proposition able to meet its obligations.
This Sustainability Policy is regularly reviewed and updated as required. Overall responsibility for this policy and the implementation thereof lies with Andy Bargery.
This Sutainability Policy was adopted on 14th May 2021.
This Sustainability Policy was last reviewed on 29th July 2021.